Poster: garthus Date: Aug 2, 2009 6:33am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 2 Where to request public domain status books to be digitalized

All of these are in the Public domain for sure:

Synopsis of a grammar of the Karen language by Francis Mason
Karen Mission Press, 1846
The New Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ : translated into Sgaw Karen from the original Greek
by Francis Mason 1903
Introduction to the study of Sgaw Karen by Saya Kan Gyi
American Baptist Mission Press, 1915.
A Karen arithmetic by Theodore Thanbyah 1885
Sermons by Theodore Thanbyah 1884

The others have to be researched.

Gerry

Poster: 2pctrl Date: Aug 4, 2009 11:12pm
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 3 (New requests) Where to request public domain status books to be digitalized

I would like to request the following books to be digitalized.

A Comparative Dictionary of the Pwo-Karen Dialect by W C B Purser, Saya Tun Aung 1922 371 pages 2vol

A primer of the Pgho, or Sho, Karen language by D. L. Brayton 1845 13 pages

Hymns by Benjamin Calley Thomas 1867

Karen Folklore, by Edward Norman Harris (1860-1947) 1936
(I don't sure about public domain status of this book; but the author Edward Norman Harris's one book is now in www.archive.org site)

The Anthem Prize in Sgaw Karen 1927 192 pages

The Anglo-Karen Hand-book and Reader by Chapin Howard Carpenter 1875 460 pages

The Karens as a race by E. B. Cross 1875

The Three Tongued-book; English, Karen & Burmese by Karen Institute Press 1867

Poster: inekemaa Date: Aug 5, 2009 1:07am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 3 (New requests) Where to request public domain status books to be digitalized

Try it in http://www.gutenberg.org.

They make books in the public domain available for everyone since many, many years. They publish in nearly every language of the world.

Perhaps you can do it yourself with their help. The project works with volunteers.

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Aug 8, 2009 4:26am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 3 (New requests) Where to request public domain status books to be digitalized

I would like to request the following books to be digitalized.

A Comparative Dictionary of the Pwo-Karen Dialect by W C B Purser, Saya Tun Aung 1922 371 pages 2vol

A primer of the Pgho, or Sho, Karen language by D. L. Brayton 1845 13 pages

Hymns by Benjamin Calley Thomas 1867

Karen Folklore, by Edward Norman Harris (1860-1947) 1936
(I don't sure about public domain status of this book; but the author Edward Norman Harris's one book is now in www.archive.org site)

The Anthem Prize in Sgaw Karen 1927 192 pages

The Anglo-Karen Hand-book and Reader by Chapin Howard Carpenter 1875 460 pages

The Karens as a race by E. B. Cross 1875

The Three Tongued-book; English, Karen & Burmese by Karen Institute Press 1867

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Aug 5, 2009 4:38am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 3 (New requests) Where to request public domain status books to be digitalized

Dear S' Aung Phwa AND any other requesters under subject line "Where to request public domain status books to be digitalized"

There is NOWHERE on www.archive.org that takes requests for books to be digitised, and I feel THAT is what you have been asking for. There is NO such place on THIS archive to refer you to. I am very sorry to disappoint you.

BUT, if you have the book already, and just want somebody to digitise your book for you for free, say so, and some member MIGHT be able to help you then.

I think we all need to clarify with you, that this particular Internet Archive is not a request service, all scans and uploads are by volunteers, using texts that we sort of have lying around in our homes or find in junk shops, very few of us, if any, have the time or resources to go looking for something that somebody like you requests by title.

Its not like a normal library where you have publicly funded/paid librarians to help you find things.

In fact, some people might consider it rude to have requests such as yours on this forum, for most, if not all of us, it is more like a hobby than a money making vocation. All of us, work in our spare time, few of us have much spare time. The spare time we do have, has also to be shared with our families, for example.

The nicest way for you to ask for your books on this forum, is not to request a book to be digitised for you, that is not possible, but to ask if any member knows where you might find your requested titles.

That might get you better answers than you had already, and if you are very lucky, a member might post that he/she has your book request, and as soon as the member has some spare time, they will scan the book for you, but you might have to wait weeks though.

If you have some urgency, you could go to the pay-for websites, and find a used copy to purchase, I was looking at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/used-books/search.asp recently, try there.

The way I got there was using Google on a book title I wanted badly, persistence pays, sometimes the author's name, even a key word or passage/quote is worthwhile a search, another way is to search for another title you know the author wrote, and see if there is a link to the title you want.

And I found another on-line text depository with my book title, a lot of members of this Archive would not be aware of that text depository, unless they had had a special requirement and used search procedures that you yourself are very capable of doing too.

That brings me to another point, members of this Archive, are not like publicly funded librarians, very few of us, if any, have the resources to provide book location free services to people asking on this forum, the best you will get, is advice, the rest of it, is up to you, using your OWN time and resources.

So example, sometimes, if you think the book might have been made into a movie, or television series for example, you should try the movie database http://www.imdb.com/ and see if there is a link back to a copy of your book.

I am not sure if it is you, or that there have been other requesters for books to digitised on order for free, >>(Re: 3 (new requests) AND Re: 2 (new requests) << I have noticed a request for a copy of a certain bible, I would suggest a search on web sites to do with religion, find a forum there, and ask if somebody there might have a copy, either for you to purchase, or they might scan it for you. If they offer to scan their copy, direct them to www.archive.org as that would be the best way for you to get the digitised copy, it would be too large for email. And this archive is always willing to provide free file transportation in exchange for the digitised text you will leave on the archive free for all to download for ever and ever.

The reason I am explaining this to you, is because I feel you might have a mistaken idea about how the Internet Archive works, and might not understand why your book request has not been fulfilled as fast as you would expect your local publicly funded library would.

It is extremely unlikely that your requests will be fulfilled by us members no matter how many times you ask, it just does not work that way, so its best to use your own resources and continue searching.

Have a great day,

Peter Time Traveller.

(This item, less names, will become a document on the Archive shortly next to my other titles listed under http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=publisher%3A%22Time%20Traveller%22)

This post was modified by Time Traveller on 2009-08-05 11:20:09

This post was modified by Time Traveller on 2009-08-05 11:38:36

Poster: 2pctrl Date: Aug 7, 2009 10:45pm
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 4 (New requests) You can neglect it

Hello,
I understood what Time Traveller explained.
But I have limited resources to keep up searching and requesting on other sites all the time.

I received only one complaint from one user upon my requesting for the books relating with Karen People.
So I thought there will be other members of Internet archive who will interest and help for digitalization of these books.

I am requesting for the following books.

Karen folk-lore; an Unwritten Bible by Hannah Marie Norris armstrong and Ko San Lone (1913)

The following books by the author

The Baptist Principles 1898
Karen Customs, Ceremonies and Poetry 1901
The Karens; Their persecutions and poetry 1917
The Life of Our Lord upon the Earth 1908
Karen Folk-lore Tales 1924 (with J. B. Vinton)

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Aug 8, 2009 4:03am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 4 (New requests) You can neglect it

S' Aung Phwa Chit
Hello, I found out that sound contents of "Lesson 8.9 to Lesson 11.9" of Book 3 "Say it in Karen" was missing. I emailed to Duane. But I got no reply. Jonathan Wade's "Anglo-Karen dictionary" and "Vocabulary of Sgau Karen language" searchable pdf files (not scanned files) are hosted at Project Gutenberg of Australia website. If possible, I wanted to see the missing "Lesson 8.9 to Lesson 11.9" of Book 3 "Say it in Karen".
More options Feb 7, 3:01 am
From: "S' Aung Phwa Chit"
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 00:01:26 -0800
Subject: Reporting "missing lessons" of "Say it in Karen" sound files
Hello,

I found out that sound contents of "Lesson 8.9 to Lesson 11.9" of Book
3 "Say it in Karen" was missing. I emailed to Duane. But I got no
reply.

Jonathan Wade's "Anglo-Karen dictionary" and "Vocabulary of Sgau Karen
language" searchable pdf files (not scanned files) are hosted at
Project Gutenberg of Australia website.

If possible, I wanted to see the missing "Lesson 8.9 to Lesson 11.9"
of Book 3 "Say it in Karen".

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Aug 8, 2009 4:18am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 4 (New requests) You can neglect it

Thanks to S' Aung Phwa Chit

[posted] Posted at PGAustralia (Carpenter)
Colin Choat cjc at gutenberg.net.au
Sat Jul 18 05:13:27 PDT 2009

Jul 2009 Self-support, C H Carpenter
[090049xx.xxx] 1772A
[Title: Self-support Illustrated in the History of the Bassein Karen
Mission]
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks09/0900491.txt or .zip
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks09/0900491h.html

Thanks to S' Aung Phwa Chit

More information about the posted mailing list

This post was modified by Time Traveller on 2009-08-08 11:14:43

This post was modified by Time Traveller on 2009-08-08 11:18:27

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Aug 8, 2009 4:20am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 4 (New requests) You can neglect it

This eBook was produced by: S' Aung Phwa Chit, of Pa-an, Kawthoolei

Title: Doctor Dolittle's Circus (1924)
Author: Hugh Lofting
* A Project Gutenberg of Australia eBook *
eBook No.: 0607841.txt
Language: English
Date first posted: October 2006
Date most recently updated: October 2006

This eBook was produced by: S' Aung Phwa Chit, of Pa-an, Kawthoolei

Transcriber notes:
words marked with * are to indicate that these words were as in book;
words or phrases started and ended with _ are in Italic format.

Project Gutenberg of Australia eBooks are created from printed editions
which are in the public domain in Australia, unless a copyright notice
is included. We do NOT keep any eBooks in compliance with a particular
paper edition.

Copyright laws are changing all over the world. Be sure to check the
copyright laws for your country before downloading or redistributing this
file.

This eBook is made available at no cost and with almost no restrictions
whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms
of the Project Gutenberg of Australia License which may be viewed online at
http://gutenberg.net.au/licence.html

To contact Project Gutenberg of Australia go to http://gutenberg.net.au

Title: Doctor Dolittle's Circus (1924)
Author: Hugh Lofting

[ Pic-000.jpg
"This part of the life seemed to be enjoyed by all" Frontispiece ]

CONTENTS

PART ONE
I THE FIRESIDE CIRCLE
II THE DOCTOR MEETS A FRIEND--AND A RELATIVE
III BUSINESS ARRANGEMENTS
IV THE DOCTOR IS DISCOVERED
V THE DOCTOR IS DISCOURAGED
VI SOPHIE, FROM ALASKA

This post was modified by Time Traveller on 2009-08-08 11:19:22

This post was modified by Time Traveller on 2009-08-08 11:20:48

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Aug 8, 2009 4:13am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 4 (New requests) You can neglect it

This eBook was produced by: S' Aung Phwa Chit

This site is full of FREE ebooks - Check them out at our Home page - Project Gutenberg Australia

Title: The Vintons and the Karens
MEMORIALS OF REV. JUSTUS H. VINTON AND CALISTA H. VINTON.
Author: Calista V Luther
* A Project Gutenberg Australia eBook *
eBook No.: 0900241h.html
Language: English
Date first posted: March 2009
Date most recently updated: March 2009

This eBook was produced by: S' Aung Phwa Chit

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Aug 8, 2009 4:17am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 4 (New requests) You can neglect it

Thanks to S' Aung Phwa Chit

[posted] Posted at PGAustralia (Mason)
Colin Choat cjc at gutenberg.net.au
Sat Jul 18 05:13:17 PDT 2009

Jul 2009 Civilizing Mountain Men, Mrs Mason
[090047xx.xxx] 1770A
[Title: Civilizing Mountain Men: Sketches of Mission Work Among the Karens]
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks09/0900471.txt or .zip

Thanks to S' Aung Phwa Chit

More information about the posted mailing list

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Aug 8, 2009 4:29am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 4 (New requests) You can neglect it

Dear S' Aung Phwa Chit
if you show up on the Archive ever again, I well be posting the story of how you steal other peoples time and resources.

Don't forget, anybody Googleing your name, to find your ebooks, will also find your lies on this archive.

And don't bother deleting your postings to try and hide your actions, as I just finished copying and pasting them into my postings.

Great way of saving my resources eh? I wont have to go a post on your ebook listers.

This post was modified by Time Traveller on 2009-08-08 11:29:22

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Aug 8, 2009 2:03am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 4 (New requests) You can neglect it

Stop changing the subject line, as each time you do, you start a new topic.

Most likely you only received one complaint, (from me) because other members could not be bothered, they just ignored you and will continue ignoring you. That seems to be the best way to give you the message, that I tried to explain to you in writing.

I was trying to tell you, that you might be waiting FOREVER.

In fact, it was not a complaint, I was trying to politely tell you that you were wasting YOUR time, waiting for FREE help from us. And even if you offered money, few people would want to know.

Gerry who helped you a little with looking up copyright despite him not being well, having to work for a living too, (As members, we either download and/or scan texts, it is a hobby for us) and Gerry who is flat out scanning texts for the archive emailed me, saying that he agreed with the message that I posted for you. You will have noticed that he is no longer responding to your requests, he has exhausted all his abilities to help you, and he only did it out of kindness and politeness, well, Gerry no long responding to you, is as good as a complaint

Only one other member, responded, he told you to go look elsewhere. Did you?

Nothing in life is free, so if you want free downloads, GO FIND THEM YOURSELF using your own limited resources, BECAUSE our resources are limited TOO!!!!!!!!

I offered you some ways to find the books yourself, DID YOU USE THEM?

Use this search string in Google,

"How can I get other people to give me all their remaining spare time and limited resources for free"

I remind you, the Archive is "Free downloads" and NOT free book location services IF THE BOOK IS NOT ALREADY ON THE ARCHIVE. (Gerry and myself checked the archive for your book requests, they weren't there, so no other member can do better, thats the limit of any FREE help you get from Archive members, WE ARE NOT REQUIRED to search the WWWW for your book requests, JUST this Archive, AND THAT HAS BEEN DONE FOR YOU ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go and ask elsewhere please.

Your book requests on this forum will be here for a long time, one day, somebody might reply. So JUST WAIT until somebody does reply.

I may sound angry, but call it frustration that you don't seem to get the message, there is are billions of website on the WWW, millions of forums. GO PUT YOUR REQUEST and email address on every forum on the WWW you can find.

You have already asked three (3) times here, nobody has been able to help.

DO YOU EXPECT EVERY MEMBER ON THIS ARCHIVE, to post saying, "NO I don't know where to find those books" and "NO I don't have the time to help you" BEFORE YOU GET THE MESSAGE AND GO ELSEWHERE?

Use your brains, No message from a member means NO, get it NO!

Like I said, its rude to bludge, (slang for BEG on the streets) none of us have any obligation to help you, no matter how much you beg, throw a tempter tantrum, etc.

Plainly put, I WAS telling you, you might be waiting here forever, that it would be wise to ALSO try elsewhere, after you have already waited for a response here, for two weeks.

More plainly put, you have already pasted up four big posters, (topics) on the notice board for ALL members to see, so NOW please wait politely and quietly outside in the waiting room, but don't blame us if you are still sitting in the waiting room, a year from now when you could have used that year to ALSO BE LOOKING ELSEWHERE YOURSELF.

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Aug 8, 2009 4:25am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 4 (New requests) You can neglect it

Hello,
I understood what Time Traveller explained.
But I have limited resources to keep up searching and requesting on other sites all the time.

I received only one complaint from one user upon my requesting for the books relating with Karen People.
So I thought there will be other members of Internet archive who will interest and help for digitalization of these books.

I am requesting for the following books.

Karen folk-lore; an Unwritten Bible by Hannah Marie Norris armstrong and Ko San Lone (1913)

The following books by the author

The Baptist Principles 1898
Karen Customs, Ceremonies and Poetry 1901
The Karens; Their persecutions and poetry 1917
The Life of Our Lord upon the Earth 1908
Karen Folk-lore Tales 1924 (with J. B. Vinton)

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Aug 8, 2009 2:55am
Forum: texts Subject: Re: 4 (New requests) You can neglect it

I received only one complaint from one user upon my requesting for the books

Does that mean that other forums dozens of people told you to continue looking for YOURSELF, because they could not help you?

I am tearing my hair out in frustration trying to tell you, that you have asked here already, and thast you need to contuie looking on your own elsewhere, WHILE one day some member here,accediently comes acroos one of your books and scans it for you.

We don't take digitising requests, AND I NOTE you no longer have that in the subject line, and none of us want to give you our limited personal resources.

I suggest Googling for "Paid Text Location Consultants" who can help you find somebody willing to provide you the free service of finding your book and digitising it for you.

How old are you anyway? I wonder if you are old enough to even be on the WWW? Maybe your mother will help you? What about your school teacher? Or better still, ask your local publicly funded librarians, in my experience, they are always willing to try and help, if the book exists THEY WILL FIND IT FOR ME. (But I do pay $5 per book)

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Aug 8, 2009 4:09am

Colin Choat cjc at gutenberg.net.au
Sat Jul 18 05:13:27 PDT 2009